This is it—the culmination of your training, mastery of the Gottman Method, and recognition as an expert in your field.
Becoming a Certified Gottman Therapist is the final step in your journey toward becoming a career couples therapist. You will master how to help couples create greater meaning and connection in their relationships, and you will expand and reinforce your understanding of Gottman Method Couples Therapy, building off of everything you’ve learned through your training and clinical work to date.
You will be matched with a Senior Certified Gottman Therapist who will coach you through the certification process and help you implement Gottman Method Couples Therapy successfully in your practice.
After earning the distinct title of Certified Gottman Therapist, The Gottman Institute will trust you to work as a roving therapist at The Art and Science of Love workshop, enabling you to help couples as they work through conflict management exercises. You will receive a discounted listing on the Gottman Referral Network which provides credibility to your practice, helps to channel new clients your way, and allows you to promote and market yourself as certified by The Gottman Institute. You will also have opportunities to participate in the larger Certified Gottman Therapist community through sponsored events, local gatherings, and access to a private Facebook group where you can connect with your colleagues.
With additional training, you can also pass on the invaluable skills and knowledge you’ve gained through certification by leading your own Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy, as well as hosting your own The Art and Science of Love workshops for couples.
We strongly encourage you to enter the Certification Track immediately after completing the Level 3 Training and begin working with your assigned Consultant. You will have a maximum of two years to enter the Certification Track following your Level 3 Training and a maximum of two years to finish the Certification Track upon entering.
Submit your application by any of these dates:
- November 1, 2017
- February 1, 2018
- May 1, 2018
- August 1, 2018
- November 1, 2018
Prerequisites for the Certification Track
- Completion of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Training
- A minimum of 1000 hours of postgraduate therapy experience
- Licensure or certification in a mental health related field
- Malpractice Insurance (1M/3M)
An assigned Gottman Consultant will guide you in applying Gottman Method Couples Therapy with couples in your practice. There will be ample opportunity to ask questions and receive input about all phases of working with couples, from assessment and treatment planning, through selecting and implementing appropriate interventions for each client’s unique needs.
- Consultants are assigned after the Level 3 Practicum
- Consultation usually takes place over the phone
- A minimum of eight hours of individual consultation or twelve hours of group consultation is needed to complete certification requirements, but the Consultant may determine that more consultation is necessary in order for a Consultee to meet Certification requirements
- The Consultant must review a minimum of three video segments during Consultation
- Fees for Consultation are additional and will be paid directly to your Consultant
- There are no continuing education hours available for Consultation
- There is a one-time administrative fee of $675.00 payable to The Gottman Institute when you enter the Certification Track.
- Consultation Fees (payable to your consultant) will vary depending on the number of sessions you require and the modality (individual or group consultation).
- Individual Consultation, 45 minutes minimum of 8 sessions (see consultant for price)
- Group Consultation, 50-90 min., minimum of 12 sessions (see consultant for price)
Once you have completed your consultation sessions and you and your consultant have agreed on your readiness, you must submit (4) videotaped segments you have made of your work to qualify for certification. You will have a maximum of three submissions to pass the final video review. A description of final video review requirements is included in the Level 2 Manual. You can download the forms for submitting videos for Final Video Review here.
- Meet our Consultants!
- Certification Track web application
- Certification Track web application (FOR AUSTRALIA)
For more details regarding the Certification Track, please read through the Consultation Policies, Terms and Conditions.
Please email email@example.com or call 206-523-9042 x 120.